Since 1991, we have been carrying out the mission of the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) in Poland, undertaking actions towards sustainable development:
- support sound environmental management and biodiversity protection;
- act to protect the natural and cultural heritage of the most valuable areas in Poland, including the Carpathians, supporting the implementation of the Carpathian Convention;
- foster environmental responsibility in society and in business.
- initiate cross-sectoral cooperation for climate neutrality;
- animate partnerships and knowledge transfer, supporting local governments, educational entities and organizations implementing the policy of corporate social responsibility.
- educate children, adolescents and adults.
- specialize in acquiring, processing and disseminating information about the state of the environment, also by using modern information technologies including geographic information systems (GIS) and other geoinformation tools and spatial data resources.
UNEP/GRID-Warsaw Centre was established in 1991 under an agreement between the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP) and the Polish Ministry of the Environment. We operate as one of several centres of the global GRID network.
UNEP/GRID-Warsaw has the status of a non-governmental organization and operates within the structure of the National Foundation for Environmental Protection.