“Carpathians Unite – conservation of the Orawsko-Nowotarskie Peatlands” is a project aimed at:
- improvement of the condition of the raised bog in the "Bór na Czerwonem" nature reserve,
- support for sustainable spatial management towards biodiversity protection of the Orawsko-Nowotarskie Peatlands,
- increasing public awareness of the role and importance of wetlands,
- exchange of experiences and good practices in the protection of peatlands in Poland and Norway,
- supporting the implementation of the Carpathian Convention.
The project is being implemented in the years 2021-2024.
„Carpathians Unite Conservation of Orawsko-Nowotarskie Peatlands” benefits from a 849 910 EUR grant from Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway through the EEA Grants. The aim of the project is to protect valuable natural habitats: a raised bog and marshy forest communities in its vicinity, located in the Czerwone bog woodland nature reserve (one of the Polish Ramsar sites), as well as other wetland ecosystems in the Orawsko-Nowotarskie Peatlands complex. Co-financing from the state budget amounts to 149 984 EUR.
The project has also benefited from co-financing from the state budget and from the funds of the Regional Fund for Environmental Protection and Water Management in Cracow.